Thursday, November 13, 2014

On The Best Potato Soup EVER!

Baby, it's cold outside!  We actually had snow flurries coming down this morning.  The temperature almost hit 30 yesterday.  BRRRRRRR!!!  Obviously, that calls for soup.  Lots and lots of delicious soup.

Quick confession.  I do not love cooking.  I don't hate it, either.  It's just one of those things that I have to do so that this family can survive.  Guess what, though?!  I have recently learned that I LOVE to cook soup.  I don't care if it takes an hour to get it done (usually I go for 30 minute or less recipes).  I just really enjoy it.

Last week, I found and made the recipe I'm about to share.  I googled Panera potato soup because let's be honest, their soup is the bomb.  Yes, I said it....THE BOMB!  I found one that looked pretty good and pretty easy.  Added a little of my own flair to it (very little of my own flair.  I'm not one to mess with recipes) and served it up.  Everyone LOVED it.  Except Hannah.  It was a little spicy.  Next time, I'll cut back on the red pepper, and I bet she downs it like the rest of us!

So here you go.  You can thank me later!  (I don't have pictures of this process.  My bad).

POTATO SOUP

Ingredients:

4 cups chicken broth
4 cups peeled and cubed potatoes
1/2 cup of half-and-half (I might have used more.  I didn't measure, just dumped).
1/4 cup minced onions
1/2 tsp seasoning salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp ground red pepper (Cut back if you are sensitive to spicy foods like Hannah)
1 - 8 oz package cream cheese cut into chunks

Directions:

1.  Combine broth, potatoes, onion and spices

2.  Boil on medium heat until potatoes are tender.  Mash a few to release their starch to    thicken the soup.

3.  Add half-and-half and reduce to low heat.

4.  Add cream cheese, stir until cheese melts

5.  If you want, top it with some yummy stuff like bacon pieces, green onions, shredded cheese.  MMMMmmmm....bacon!

We ate this whole pot in one sitting.  Next time, I will double it.

Stay tuned for more soup recipes because that's what I'm feeling these days.

Mommy win on making a soup that (almost) the whole family loves!

No comments:

Post a Comment